Sunday 27 November 2011

Project theme: Frames in conversation

After weeks of agonising over different themes, I have finally opted for a portraiture-based theme to try to challenge myself and face my irrational fear of working with models.

'Frames in conversation' will be a study in natural reportage portraiture. I've never been fond of posed photographs.

Statement of intent (DRAFT)

Candidate name: Kate Aldridge

Title of the theme: Frames in conversation

Intentions/purpose of the photography to be undertaken
To produce a series of ten images each consisting of nine individual photographs of each subject engaged in conversation. I will ask each of my volunteers to tell me about an event, person or occurrence that made them feel a strong emotion; any emotion at all. I will take a series of photographs to capture both when they are speaking and pauses of thought in between.

Reasons for selection of theme (including inspiration from the work of others)
I wanted to choose a portraiture as one of my themes to really challenge myself in an area of photography I have very little experience of. I have been inspired by Corinne Day's work; Corinne took a series of natural photographs of her subject - Kate Moss - mid-conversation. Her challenge was to present a fresh portrait of one of the world's most photographed faces.

Corinne Day - a study in conversation 

Most people would immediately delete photographs where eyes are shot or a sudden movement has blurred the shot but this is exactly what I'm hoping to capture with this project.

The photo imaging equipment and medium that will be used and why
I plan to use a 50mm prime lens to take the photographs. I will set up a tripod and remote shutter release to minimise the presence of the equipment and allow me to take the shots without hiding behind the camera myself. I will set the camera to manual focus and allow plenty of space around the subject when framing the shot in case they move around - the shots will be edited and compiled in Photoshop CS5.

Techniques that will be used and how they will help convey the visual message
I will produce the images in black and white. My reason for doing this - and I suspect this was the same for Corinne Day - is to remove all distractions and to increase the focus on the subject. I aim to produce a 'stripped back' feel to the images and black and white adds something quite dramatic to the reportage style I am aiming to emulate.

How light quality can be used to help convey the visual message
Light quality will depend on the location of each series of photographs. Where possible I will position my subject indoors, next to a window, to cast light onto one side of their face. I will set up the shot against a light, neutral background, again to reduce distractions from the subject.

Safety considerations
I will ensure my subjects are in a safe environment. Where possible I will photograph them in their own homes, my home or my office. Where I need to conduct a shoot in public, I will seek the necessary authorisation and permissions before proceeding and ensure there are no safety risks in the vicinity of the photoshoot.
_____________________________

So, I now need to find 10 models... who's up for it?! Pretty please!

1 comment:

Digital Literacy said...

Super idea Kate. Maybe a white sheet could be used for consistency if shots are taken inside or a wall of similar texture and colour for outdoor shots. It will probably depend on the subjects expression more that the technical aspects for these shots.